Thursday, September 6, 2012

Sensory Overload

This past weekend I went to the weekly market. The sights, sounds, and smells were many and diverse, both delectable and pungent! It doesn't take but 20 minutes to feel completely overwhelmed and a little lost among the shouting salesmen and mountains of clothes, fruits and veggies and household goods. "Controller, controller," shouts a man who's sole purpose for the day is to sell as many remote controls as he can... hard to imagine 1. who needs multiple remote controls and would come here to buy them, 2. how many controllers he has to sell to even be able to buy himself breakfast and 3. where all these controllers came from in the first place?! However, being in this atmosphere makes you feel as though you should buy things you don't even need. No, I don't need a remote controller... but what if I will someday? Shouldn't I buy it now when it's less than $1? This, my friends, is the trap of the weekend market! I managed to find my way out of the maze without doing too much damage to my pocketbook and have been enjoying some delicious fruit, new sunglasses and... a remote control (haha chiste). If I lived here I have a feeling I would be sucked into this every single weekend. It's like a farmer's market but so much better! The avocados are the size of my head and they only cost $0.30... I may never return to the U.S.







No comments:

Post a Comment