Friday, September 14, 2012

An Unexpected Souvenir


This past weekend a couple girls from my house and I planned a trip to the small town of Zonte Beach, El Salvador. This small surf town is home to a couple restaurants and tiendas as well as several beach shacks housing locals who live a refreshingly slow-paced life. As we drove the winding roads to this beautiful area I could literally feel time decelerate to a speed where the only cares are when the tide is coming and going. After about 5 hours of travel, including one incredibly backed-up border, we rolled up to our hostel and surf house. Alex, the man in charge, warmly greeted us and quickly explained our plans for the next couple days… BIG plans: surfing, sleeping, eating and relaxing! However, there was one surprise in our plan that could not have worked out better; I love when impromptu weekends result in unexpected rewards. Alex explained that the following morning he would be holding a surf camp for paraplegics and would love a few extra hands if we didn’t mind volunteering. Didn’t mind?! I was ecstatic— in the words of my professor, Dr. Blanchard, “OT rocks!” I am so lucky to have chosen a profession which continues to be integrated into every part of life, no matter the country or culture in which I find myself. I was so elated to have the opportunity to be able to bring happiness and quality of life to a group of men who thought that the opportunity of surfing was something which was never available to them.

In the morning, we had a brief meeting to explain the logistics and be assigned to teams: 6 persons to each participant-- 2 deep to judge waves and push, 2 in the middle to help guide, and 2 near the shore to catch the arriving surfer.  In reverse order, we worked as a human chain to float them back out to the waves to catch another ride in. I could tell that the men (aged 16-40ish) were nervous… how incredibly trusting of them to enter the ocean when most of them couldn’t swim and were reliant upon a team of volunteers. Reflecting on their trust alone, it is evident how much this morning meant to them.  
Each man was piggy-backed to the beach while wheelchairs were carried behind


 
We dispersed into our teams and slowly brought the men out on the boards; I settled into the middle spot, prepared to catch, guide and tow as needed. Watching the smiles on each participant’s face after catching the first wave made waking up early, baking in the sun and choking on salt water worth it tenfold. I never dreamed that I would get the opportunity to be a part of something so magical and heart-warming. It is humbling to see people like Alex and those who work for him volunteer their time and efforts to help fulfill the dreams of others. There is truly no better gift than that of opportunity and opened doors when something seems improbable or even impossible. The men repeated thanked us… and I was just as thankful to them for yet another opportunity on this trip to engage in OT in another culture and context. 
I love my job!







No comments:

Post a Comment